Terminator and Dollhouse: excellent, again

Just a short note: I’ve been rather preoccupied with classes and other academic responsibilities and haven’t had much time to work on detailed physics blog posts.  This will hopefully change this week, as I’ve got a few ideas in the works.  (Part of the problem: I’m getting really ambitious with my posts, and they end up requiring much more research than I first think.)

In the meantime, I had to just comment that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse were both really good, and compelling, tonight.

It was the season finale of Terminator, and it didn’t disappoint: the writers “doubled down” in a sense and introduced a number of really unexpected twists to the story.   The show, though somewhat slow moving at times, has introduced a depth of character and a complexity to the plot far, far beyond what ever appeared in the movies.

Sadly, it still isn’t clear if there will be a season 3, as nothing has been announced!  It is thought that the upcoming theatrical release of Terminator 4 might convince FOX executives that TSCC is worth keeping around to capitalize on “Terminator mania”.  I’m definitely hoping…

Dollhouse gave more of a hint how the show can sustain its premise over an extended run.  As I noted in my previous post on the show, though the “dolls” in principle are different people in each episode, they serve as “mirrors” through which the hopes and desires of the other characters are reflected.  We saw a bit more of that tonight, as well as another aspect: a somewhat Frankenstein-ian twist to the tale.  The character of Echo, like Frankenstein’s monster, is turning out to be more than her creators expected or can handle.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Entertainment. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Terminator and Dollhouse: excellent, again

1. Blake Stacey says:

BUT I’M THE ONE WHO SAW JOSS WHEDON LAST NIGHT.

2. The Ridger says:

Wow. I simply could not watch that show – Dollhouse – at all.

3. Blake: What??!! How’d you do that!!??

Ridger: Could you not watch that particular episode, or the series in general? It is admittedly not the most pleasant show to watch, in contrast to the relatively “fun” nature of Whedon’s other works, such as Buffy or Firefly.

4. Blake Stacey says:

Whedon was given a “lifetime achievement award in cultural humanism“. The high point of the evening was perhaps his artful dodging the question posed by one Harvard student, as to whether Buffy or River would win in a fight.

5. The Fiancee says:

My money is on River winning.

6. The Ridger says:

Dollhouse, in general. I watched three episodes and no more. I found it impossible to care about the dolls, and the people who were the same from show to show were unpleasant or annoying or – in the case of Echo’s handler – just off-putting somehow. I don’t know; it just not only didn’t grab me, it actively repelled me.

7. The Ridger says:

PS – River would win. Buffy would be handicapped since River’s not a demon.

8. Just curious if you and The Wife saw the new Terminator movie. Critter and I saw it last night, and I thought it was well handled. There were a lot of little things that made me clap my hands like a demented toddler. (Most of those would be spoilers, so I’ll shut my yap now.)

9. I think you’ll like the movie. From a “jumpstart the franchise” perspective, I think it’s much better than the over-lauded Star Trek (which went down easy the first time I saw it but just seems dumber and dumber the more I think about it.)