Here are the Twitter #weirdscifacts for the past week!
438. May 25: Halomonas titanicae, a new species of bacteria found in 2010 to be eating the Titanic! This is doubly odd, in that the bacteria eats iron oxide and also that it was found on the wreckage of the Titanic.
439. May 26: 2009 was the year that remote-controlled cyborg beetles came into existence! One can see why the military would be interested in a tiny, remote-controlled surveillance bug! One can also see video of the testing.
441. May 28: The “Slinky” was invented by accident when a naval engineer inadvertantly knocked a spring from a shelf. Designer Richard James was attempting to develop springs that could stabilize sensitive instruments on ships in rough seas.
442. May 29: Humpback whales trap fish in a “net” made of bubbles!
443. May 30: The 1962 experiment to determine effect of LSD on elephants.
444. May 31: The Candiru: an Amazonian spiny fish that has been known to swim up the human vagina and urethra! Ouch!