Been a crazy week and a holiday week, but the Twitter #weirdscifacts just keep on coming!
473. June 29: In 1897, J.J. Thomson introduced the electron as a particle; in the 1920s, his son G.P. helped prove the electron is a wave! Both men received the Nobel Prize for their respective achievements.
474. June 30: Water boatman insect sings at 99db by rubbing its penis against its abdomen! If you’re wondering how loud that is, it is a sound level comparable to a passing subway train. (h/t @nialldeacon)
475. July 01: Global warming leading to unusual bear love? Grizzly-polar bear hybrid! (h/t @drugmonkeyblog) I fully expect to see a Syfy channel original movie “Polgrizz”, about a killer Grizzly-polar bear hybrid terrorizing a resort community.
476. July 02: The golden eagle hunts goats larger than itself, and other animals, by dropping them off a cliff!
477. July 03: Saccharin, discovered in 1879 when a chemist ate lunch but forgot to wash his hands before. Bad lab procedure, but a huge discovery!
478. July 04: Cosmic rays, first discovered on the top of the Eiffel Tower! (My recent Scientific American post!)