Search Skulls in the Stars:
- The author of Skulls in the Stars is a professor of physics, specializing in optical science, at UNC Charlotte. The blog covers topics in physics and optics, the history of science, classic pulp fantasy and horror fiction, and the surprising intersections between these areas.
- I think my favorite SCP is SCP-682, the unkillable murderous monster, and especially the long and humorously macabr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- RT @joshtpm: Subpoena Jim Jordan talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/subpoen… via @TPM https://t.co/TdUiqzxZF2 7 hours ago
- Spot the problem with this anti-vaxxer's analogy. Hint: seatbelts aren't designed to protect against disease. https://t.co/0Af98O7H8T 7 hours ago
- RT @JeremyMallin: They won't wear masks in the Capitol, but they wore them there? 😠 twitter.com/RonFilipkowski… 7 hours ago
- … the Hell?
- General science
- History of science
- role-playing games
- Science news
- Weird fiction
Category Archives: Sports
While I’m working on some new physics blog posts, here’s a couple of more skydiving videos that I took with a GoPro!
After about six months off, I’ve finally gotten back into the air… into freefall, that is! I haven’t been jumping for a while thanks to a combination of reasons, probably in large part to wanting to work on my singular … Continue reading
I haven’t posted any skydiving videos for a while, largely because I’ve long depended on other people, with cameras, to video me in freefall. This Christmas, my lovely wife got me a GoPro, however, and the other day I finally broke … Continue reading
I’ve been quite busy and having a hard time putting together some science posts. In the meantime, I thought I’d share a video of a couple of skydives I did a bit over a week ago at CarolinaFest 2012 at … Continue reading
Well, I finally did it — I made my 1000th skydive! On the 18th of December, 2011, my friends came out to join me in celebrating this milestone. The video is posted below. We had done a practice jump (number … Continue reading
It occurred to me, after some discussion on Twitter, that I haven’t posted any skydiving videos for a while! Part of the problem is that I haven’t had that many videos taken over the past half-year; the other part of … Continue reading
Via The Huffington Post, I found this story pretty exciting: a Japanese man has made a new world record for the longest duration flight of a paper airplane! Only one man – Japanese paper airplane virtuoso Takuo Toda – has … Continue reading
Whew! One more stressful deadline is passed, and successfully! On Sunday, I passed my adult bronze ‘moves in the field’ figure skating test! Of course, most readers probably have no idea what that means. The USFSA (U.S. Figure Skating Association) … Continue reading
I know people will call me nuts, but this looks like fun: via The Daily Mail, we learn that an extreme sports enthusiast took a high-speed ride on a rollercoaster — on specially designed roller skates! An adrenaline junkie has … Continue reading